Former student of Ecole Normale Supérieure (83-88), I obtained my PhD in Applied Mathematics at the University of Maryland in 1988, under the enlightening guidance of Ivo Babuska. I was then hired as chargé de recherche CNRS at the Center for Applied Maths of Ecole Polytechnique. I took a leave of absence from CNRS in 95-96, which I spent at Rutgers University.
Since 2001, I have been a full professor at Université Joseph Fourier in Grenoble (now part of Université Grenoble-Alpes). After a sabbatical half-year at the MSRI in Berkeley in 2010, I served as chairman of the Grenoble applied math department (Laboratoire Jean Kuntzmann) from 2011 to mid-2016. At the end of my term, I took a sabbatical year, which I partly spent at the IMA at the University of Minnesota. I am currently at the Institut Fourier.
My topics of interest include the mathematical modeling of composite materials, and particularly, the regularity of the fields (temperature, voltage potential, electromagnetic fields, elastic displacement...) in inhomogemeous media that contain close to touching inclusions. These questions have strong connections to inverse problems, metamaterials, shape optimisation and fracture.
Long term visits/Visiting Professorships
Rutgers University (1996-97)
MSRI Berkeley (2010)
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (2016)
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2016)
IMA University of Minnesota (2017)
Current Research Interests
Services to the community
- Coordinator for mathematics of the
ECOS Nord program, which promotes cooperation for research and education between France and several Latin American countries.
- Member of the Commission Scientifique Sectorielle 5 of the
Institut de Recherche et Développement.
- Coordinator of the
Jean Kuntzmann Prize a distinguished lectures series of the Grenoble math/computer science community.
Former PhD Students
- Faten Khayat (PhD 1997--2001 co--direction with T. Hadhri, Ecole Polytechnique de Tunisie) currently, assistante de mathématiques, Faculté de Bizerte).
- Fehmi Ben Hassen (PhD 1999--2004, co--direction with A. Ben Abda, ENIT Tunis)
currently assistant professor at the University of Tunis.
- Morgan Brassel (PhD 2003--2008) currently agrégé de mathématiques.
- Elie Bretin, (PhD 2005--2009, co--direction with V. Perrier, LJK)
currently Maitre de Conférence, INSA Lyon.
- Frédéric Huguet, (PhD 2005, co--direction with F. Devernay)
currently research engineer CEA Grenoble.
- Lukas Jakabcin, (PhD 2009-2013, co-direction with S. Labbe)
currently postdoc at Ecole Polytechnique.
- Abdelfatah Gtet (PhD 2013-2017, co-direction with F. Triki).
- Xi Que (PhD 2014-2017, co-direction with F. Triki), currently postdoc ISTERRE.
- Chun-Hsiang Tsou (PhD student, 2014-2017, co-direction with F. Triki)currently postdoc Honk Kong Baptist University.
- Mouhcine Tilioua, postdoc CNRS (2004--2005).
- Sivaji Ganesh Sista, postdoc Région Rhône--Alpes,
(2004--2005) currently assistant professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
- J.F. Babdjian, postdoc CNRS (2007--2008) currently professor at Université d'Orsay.
- David Manceau, ATER (2008--2009) currently maître de conférences at
Université du Havre.
- H. Amrani Souhli, postdoc ANR (2009).